Convento e Iglesia del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús e Ignacio de Loyola

CA4
Church / other
Architectural style: Eclectic
CA Ranking: 4
Open: 8am-noon, 3-6pm daily; Mass: 8am, 4.30pm Mon-Sat; 8am, 9.30am, 4.30pm Sun
Reina (Avenida Simón Bolivar) entre Belascoaín (Padre Valera) y Gervasio
  • Known by many as Iglesia de Reina, Cuba’s tallest and perhaps most beautiful church rises in the midst of the urban landscape as one of the most accomplished religious constructions in Cuba in terms of architecture. Its notable 77-meter tall tower, topped by a 4-meter tall bronze cross, with 32 gargoyles and a variety of statuettes. The inside is lit by 69 spectacular stained-glass windows. It can be seen from several spots in Havana.

    Construction began on August 7, 1914 under Jesuit architect Brother Luis Gogorza and after its completion, the church was inaugurated by Bishop Pedro González Estrada on May 3, 1923. Its pointed arch, ogival vaults, narrow walls, large windows and notable stained-glass windows (that represent the life of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, as well as passages from Loyola’s and other Jesuit saints’ life), are all gothic stylistic elements.

    This church has three naves and three doors. The floor of the central nave consists of stone and glass tiles, and has the Greek letters alpha and omega engraved on it by the entrance. From the street (Reina), you can see the image of the Sacred Heart carved in wood and a group of five angels with their wings spread to form a baldachin. By the altar, there is a bronze plaque where Jesus is portrayed as a slaughtered lamb. The two lateral naves form a Latin cross, where there is also an image of the Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre, patron saint of Cuba. In addition, the parish has one of Cuba’s fanciest organs. Several distinguished architects have praised this church’s façade, but have also criticized its location and interior.

    
  • Casa de Dionisio Velasco

    Casa de Dionisio Velasco  LH 3

    Built in 1912, the building was conceived as a grand palace. Lavishly ornamented on its facade, it features overhanging balconies and windows which break the horizontal line of the balustrade. This mo …

    Museo Numismático

    Museo Numismático  LH 3

    Valued in approx 50 million dollars, the museum’s collections features medals, coins and banknotes from around the world, including an early 20 peso coin, the only one still existing of the ten produc …

    Cruz Verde

    Cruz Verde  LH 3

    The corner of Amargura and Mercaderes is known as Cruz Verde (Green Cross) due to a green-painted cross affixed to the northwest-facing cornerstone. The cross is one of twelve that were to be found al …

    Alameda de Paula

    Alameda de Paula  LH 3

    The construction of the Alameda de Paula, one of Havana’s first promenades, was commissioned by Captain General Felipe de Fondesviela, member of the court of King Carlos III, and built by architect An …

    Fachada del Teatro Fausto

    Fachada del Teatro Fausto  LH 3

    Built in 1915, it was reconstructed and remodeled in 1938 according to a project which was awarded the Gold Medal by the National Architects’ Association. Its pure Art Deco façade is faced with a mixt …

    Fuente de los Leones

    Fuente de los Leones  LH 3

    Designed in 1836 by Italian artist Giuseppe Gaggini, the Carrara marble Fuente del Conde de Villanueva is popularly known as “Fuente de los Leones” for its four lions, one to each corner, resting on p …

    Edificio del Retiro Odontológico

    Edificio del Retiro Odontológico  LH 3

    In 1953, architect Antonio Quintana won the competition for the design of a building which would house doctors’ offices, stores and other public spaces. The use of brise-soleil, popularized by the Fre …

    Calle San Lázaro

    Calle San Lázaro  LH 3

    Stretching 14 blocks, this street takes its name from the San Lázaro Hospital built in 1746. It was s=successively renamed as Calle Ancha del Norte, Calle del Basurero, Avenida Antonio Maceo and Aveni …

    Parroquia del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús (Parroquia del Vedado)

    Parroquia del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús (Parroquia del Vedado)  LH 3

    Built in 1892, this is Vedado’s oldest church; and is mostly known by its celebration of Corpus Christi in May, in addition to many other Catholic festivities. The wooden altar, pulpit and stained-gla …

    Museo del Chocolate

    Museo del Chocolate  LH 3

    Although calling this place a museum is an overstatement, there are some intriguing artefacts relating to the history of chocolate production in Cuba. More appropriate would be to call it Café Fábrica …

    « 14 of 22 pages »